Monday, September 5, 2011

Give me an "H"...

Hug me. Touch me. Smile at me. Listen to me. Kiss me. Argue with me. Laugh with me. Laugh at me. Let's embrace. Let's connect.

Sitting in front of the computer, reviewing online dating profiles today, I had an interesting realization.... I have not had physical contact with another human being in several weeks. In fact, it's been about a month since I hugged somebody (and it was my mom). Do not fret.. this certainly is not a "whoa is me" blog about how people don't like me, and you should feel sorry for me. Quite to the contrary, this was a very liberating realization. Besides, I'm AWESOME!

What I discovered was that i have created this situation for myself: relying on dating websites to tell me who i might like, who might like me, who lives near me, favorite sexual positions, astrological signs, educational background, dick size, etc... How RIDICULOUS! Who could possible hold up to that much scrutiny. Not me, that's for damn sure. Everyday that I have not met someone online is technically a complete failure; I'm rejected over and over every single day just by not sufficiently attracting an online prospect. Fuck that!

The best thing that I've done for myself all week was delete every online dating profile that I had. Adam4Adam, Plentyoffish, Match.com, Chemistry.com, some of which have sat as inactive profiles for quite some time, silently rejecting me by simply existing. I might have named my smart phone (Gregory Charles Alexander Stevenson III), but I know that old Greg will never hug me. My computer will never know how funny i am, and these websites will never understand the things in life that truly make me happy. So I am unplugging from them and giving back to myself. The idea is that once i stop "looking for someone" I'm giving myself the opportunity to meet someone. If nothing else then at least not being turned down, and passed up, daily by the guys who view my profile has got to do wonders for my self esteem.

Anyway, I am done with this vent for the moment. I am rooting for myself and hopeful for an affectionate "not too distant" future. If i could leave you with anything it would be to hug someone today. A coworker, friend, loved one, classmate, stranger in the bar... Touch them, and make that momentary connection. You really never know who's life you may be changing: It might be your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment